Sheebah Karungi (born November 11, 1989) is a Ugandan musician, dancer and actress who debuted her acting career in Queen of Katwe as Shakira. After quitting Obsessions, a dance group she joined in 2006, she rose to recognition upon the release of her hit single "Ice Cream". In 2014, she released her debut project Ice Cream, a five-track EP which did well commercially and led her to win back-to-back HiPipo Music Awards Best Female Artist in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. She also won the Artist of the Year award twice, in 2017, 2018, and 2019 at the HiPipo Music Awards.
Life and career
Sheebah Karungi was born and raised by a single mother in Kawempe, a division of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. After completing her basic education at Kawempe Muslim Primary School, she dropped out of school in senior two when she was a student of Midland High School, Kawempe. At the age of 15, she started dancing for money after she joined a dance group called Stingers before she left the group for Obsessions Music Group in 2006. At Obsessions she developed an interest in music, recording two songs before she left the group for a solo career in music.
In 2010, she released "Kunyenyenza", her first official single, produced by Washington with writing credit from Cindy. She went on to release another song titled "Bulikyekola", featuring vocals from KS Alpha and then "Baliwa" featuring Coco Finger. It was until she released "Automatic", a song written by Sizzaman, that her solo career experienced a major turnaround. Upon the success of "Automatic", she teamed up again with Sizzaman to release "Ice Cream" to massive airplay and positive reviews before she went on to release another hit single, "Twesana".
In 2014, she released her first musical project, Ice Cream, a five-track EP which contained hit singles including "Ice Cream" and "Jordan". The EP was well received and helped win her Best Female Artist at the 2014 and 2015 HiPipo Music Awards.
Her second project was titled Nkwatako.
Sheebah held Nkwatako Concert in 2016 and Omwoyo Concert in 2018 at Hotel Africana in Kampala. Both concerts were organized by her management, Team No Sleep. Omwoyo Concert was choreographed by Cathy Patra who has choreographed and appeared in most of her videos. On her second concert, Omwoyo, Sheebah was criticized for her low vocal ability as a live performer.
Sheebah is also a business woman. Under her Sheebah Investments program, she has opened a number of businesses around Kampala including The Red Bar, Red Events (co-owned with dancer Cathy Patra), a hair extension business called Sheebah by Natna and others.
- Farmer (Remix) - With Ykee Benda
- Ice Cream
- Kyoyina Omanya
- Sweet Sensation ft. Orezi
- Tevunya ft. Fik Fameica
- Weekend ft Runtown
- John Rambo
- follow me ft Harmonize (musician)
- Silwana ft
- Osobola ft Leila Kayondo
- nkulowozaako ft
- Mummy yo
- Nkwatako (2016)
- Karma (2017)
- Samali 2021
|2016||Queen Of Katwe||Shakira||Alongside Lupita Nyong'o, David Oyelowo and Madina Nalwanga|
Awards and nominations
|Year||Award ceremony||Prize||Recipient/nominated work||Result||Ref|
|The Uganda Music Awards||Female Artist of The Year||Herself||Won|||
|2018||Abryanz styles and fashion awards||Fashionable music video of The Year||Herself/Mumy Yo||Nominated|||
|2017||Zzina Awards||Artist of The Year||Herself||Won|||
|Female Artist of The Year||Herself||Won|||
|Best Collaboration of The Year||Sheebah & Ykee Benda||Won|||
|Abryanz Style and Fashion Awards||Fashionable Music Video of the Year (Uganda)||"The Way"||Nominated|
|2016||Most Stylish Female Artiste (Uganda)||Nominated|
|2016 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best African Female Artist||Herself||Nominated|||
|Zzinna Awards||Best Female Artist||Won|||
|4th HiPipo Music Awards||Won|||
|Best Afropop Song||"Nipe Yote"||Nominated|||
|East Africa Best Video||"Siri Zari"||Nominated|||
|Video of The Year||Won|||
|Uganda Entertainment Awards 2016||Best Female Artist||Herself||Won|||
|Artist of the Year||Nominated|||
|Best Dance/Live Performance||Nominated|||
|Best Dancehall Artist||Nominated|||
|Video of the Year||"Nkwatako"||Nominated|||
|2015||3rd HiPipo Music Awards||Best Female Artist||Herself||Won|||
|Artist of the Year||Nominated|||
|Best Duo Group Artist||Herself with Pallaso||Nominated|||
|Song of the Year||"Twesana"||Nominated|||
|Best Ragga Dancehall Song||"Mundongo" with Pallaso||Nominated|||
|Best Afrobeat Song||"Twesana"||Nominated|||
|Best Afropop Song||"Go Down Low" with Pallaso||Won|||
|Uganda Entertainment Awards 2015||Best Female Artist||Herself||Won|||
|Best Dancehall Artist||Nominated|||
- Orville Muhumuza (20 February 2015). "INTERVIEW: Sheeba's journey from a Karaoke girl to an international start". Chimp Reports. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Johnson Grace Maganja (24 July 2015). "Uganda: Sheebah Will Live Her Dreams, No Matter What". The Observer. AllAfrica. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Edgar. R. Batte (3 July 2014). "Sheebah came from rock bottom". sqoop.co.ug. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "I have never thought of being a wife - Sheeba". New Vision. 6 October 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "INTERVIEW: Billion Reasons To Believe, Sheebah Karungi Shares Her Story". news.ugo.co.ug. 28 July 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Sheebah Karungi". Uganda Blizz. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "SHEEBAH KARUNGI TO FINALLY HOLD AN ALBUM LAUNCH". Big Eye. 18 August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Sheebah's Nkwatako Concert Sells Out". Spurzine. Retrieved 24 April 2021.
- Sejjombwe, Isaac. "Omwooyo concert: How live band, outrageous outfits outshone Sheebah". Sqoop. Retrieved 24 April 2021.
- Muriisa, Habre. "Sheebah Karungi Finally Launches Her Hair Extension Business". Chano8. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Kisitu, Herman. "Sheebah Launches Red Events, Her 4th Business Besides Music". The Times Ug. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- Kigundu, Abraham. "Sheebah Karungi Releases 'Samali' Music Album". Blizz. Retrieved 24 April 2021.
- "Uganda Online - Abryanz Style and Fashion Awards 2017 Winners". www.ugandaonline.net. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- "Sheebah Karungi wins big at Zzina Awards: Here's the full list of winners". Bigeye.ug. 2017-04-08. Retrieved 2017-12-18.
- Nasa Tushabe (17 June 2016). "Sheebah Karungi nominated in Nigerian Awards, Best African female artist". Uganda Blizz. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Sameer Bry (6 March 2016). "DAVID LUTALO Walks Away With MALE ARTISTE, While SHEEBAH KARUNGI Takes FEMALE ARTISTE of The Year, Here is The Full List of Zzina Awards Winners 2016". Mseto East Africa. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Jacky Achan (31 January 2016). "HiPipo Awards: David Lutalo named artist of the year". Sunday Vision. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "#HMA2016: Nominations for the 4th HiPipo Music Awards Released. Lucky Fan to win Convertible Peugeot 207". . Kampala, Uganda. 4 December 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Lutalo, Sheebah win big at the HiPiPo awards". Uganda Online. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Nasa Tushabe (20 August 2016). "Full List of Uganda Entertainment Award Winners 2016". Uganda Online. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "UGANDA ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2016: HERE'S THE FULL NOMINEES LIST". talkmedia Africa. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Full List of nominees in Uganda Entertainment Awards 2016". ugblizz. 20 June 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "2014 Female Artist of The Year is SHEEBAH KARUNGI, Of Course". howwe.biz. 8 February 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Sheebah, Kenzo, Bebe Cool and Radio & Weasel top HiPipo Music Awards 2015 Nomination list". HiPipo Awards. Kampala, Uganda. 10 December 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Winners of the 3rd HiPipo Music Awards". HiPipo Awards. 8 February 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Uganda Entertainment Awards 2015: The Full List Of Winners". 411ug. 5 September 2015. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Alfred Ochwo (7 September 2015). "Lutalo, Benon Kibuuka shine at Uganda Entertainment awards". The Observer. Retrieved 28 August 2016.