Shane Patrick Hughes
7 June 1996
Shane Patrick Hughes (born June 7, 1996), known professionally as Shane Eagle, is a South African rapper, songwriter, television personality and record producer. He rose to fame in 2015, after finishing third place on the first season of the Vuzu rapping reality competition, The Hustle. After releasing several non-album singles, Eagle released his debut album Yellow in 2017, which features the gold-certified lead single, "Let It Flow". In 2019, Eagle released his debut mixtape, Dark Moon Flower .
Shane Patrick Hughes was born on 7 June 1996, in Rabie Ridge, a suburb of Johannesburg, to a Coloured mother, and an Irish father. After his parents got divorced while he was at the age of five, he went to live with his father in Kempton Park, Johannesburg. However, he continued to visit his mother who still resided in Rabie Ridge on a regular basis.
The term "Eagle" originated from a group of his friends that resided in Rabie Ridge, Johannesburg and thus adopted it as a part of his stage name. As he started rapping in high school, Eagle recorded his first song at the age of 13 at his friend's studio.
2015–2016: Beginnings and breakthrough
After finishing high school, Shane Eagle was impassioned to apply for the inaugural season of the Vuzu rapping reality competition, The Hustle, which was scouting artists after making them upload a video while rapping to social media platforms: Instagram or Facebook, in terms of casting them. Eagle applied and was later chosen to compete at the competition. He later finished third place after a double elimination of the top-four. Immediately after leaving the competition, Eagle gained his public image and his fan base. On 8 October 2015, he then released his debut single "Way Up" featuring his then-fellow contender and the winner of The Hustle BigStar Johnson under rapper JR's record label, Feel Good Music. The song received favourable airplays on South African radio stations, which include YFM, 5FM and Highveld 947.
In March 2016, Vuzu's entertainment news parody, V Entertainment revealed that Eagle was joining as one of the presenters of the show, including Moozlie, DJ Speedsta and Dash Mkhathini, who all joined long-term presenter of the show Lalla Hirayama. On first-quarter of 2017, the show announced that its taking a break leading Eagle to evacuate from the show before it got revamped. Upon 2016, Eagle released non-album singles, including, "I'm Back", "Cutting Corners" and "Top Floor", which were all released through his independent record label, Eagle Entertainment, established after his departure at Feel Good Music. On 18 June 2016, Eagle was one of the opening acts on the Castle Lite Unlocks concert, headlined by rapper J Cole.
2017–present: Yellow and Never Grow Up
Eagle's debut album Yellow, was released on 31 August 2017. Yellow was initially supported by double lead singles: " Let It Flow" and "Need Me" featuring singer KLY, both released on the day of the album. In November 2017, the album reached over one-million streams on the music and video service Apple Music. One of the singles, "Let It Flow", was certified gold status according to the Recording Industry of South Africa in September 2019. The album won for Best Hip Hop Album at the 24th South African Music Awards. Yellow was also nominated for Album of the Year, "Let It Flow" was nominated for Best Music Video, and Eagle was nominated for Newcomer of the Year. On 26 August 2018, Eagle launched his first tour, The Yellow Tour, in supporting his album Yellow. The shows were performed on four cities, kicked off in Cape Town on 31 August 2018.
Never Grow Up, Eagle's debut EP, was released on 28 December 2018. The EP was certified gold by the Recording Industry of South Africa. It was certified the same time with Yellow lead single "Let It Flow" – also reaching the same status.
|Album Title||Album Details|
|Album Title||Album Details|
|EP Title||EP Details|
(featuring Big Star Johnson)
|"Top Floor" (with Big Star Johnson)|
|2017||"Let It Flow"||Yellow|
|"Black Rick"||Non-album single|
|2019||"Ap3x (Remastered)" (featuring Bas)||Never Grow Up (EP)|
|"Black"||Dark Moon Flower|
|"Paris" (featuring Nasty C)|
As featured artist
|2016||"Now or Never"
(DJ Switch featuring Shane Eagle, ProVerb, Reason and Kwesta)
|"Now or Never" (Remix)|
(Priddy Ugly featuring Refi Sings, KLY and Shane Eagle)
|You Don't Know Me Yet|
|2015||"I Want It All"||The Guy: Episode 1 - Season 23|
(Priddy Ugly featuring Shane Eagle and A-Reece)
|You Don't Know Me Yet|
(DJ Sliqe featuring Da L.E.S and Shane Eagle)
|Injayam, Vol. 1|
(Priddy Ugly featuring Shane Eagle)
- "Shane Eagle's Yellow going Gold is a win for SA Hip Hop". Organic Mag.
- "Shane Eagle". Absolut One Source LIVE.
- "5 Interesting Facts About Shane Eagle!". People Magazine.
- "Shane on reppin his hood Rabie Ridge". Online Youth Magazine. | Zkhiphani.com. 15 November 2016. Retrieved 19 November 2017.
- "8 Things You Don't Know About Shane Eagle". SA Hip Hop Mag.
- "The Hustle". VUZU.
- "The Hustle: That epic Cass and Shane battle". VUZU.
- "Man Crush Monday: Shane Eagle | True Love Magazine". www.truelove.co.za. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Way Up by Shane Eagle feat. Bigstar Johnson on Amazon Music". Amazon.
- "Rapper Shane Eagle Is Ready To Shine". Frequency Magazine. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Spotlight on: Live AMP's new presenters". ZAlebs.
- "Somizi and Nomuzi score gig on revamped V- Entertainment". TimesLIVE.
- "'m Back - Single by Shane Eagle". Apple Music.
- "Cutting Corners - Single by Shane Eagle". Apple Music.
- "Top Floor - Single by Shane Eagle & BigStar Johnson". Apple Music.
- "How Castle Lite Unlocked J.Cole". Hype Magazine.
- "Yellow by Shane Eagle". Apple Music.
- "Shane Eagle releases insane visuals for 'Let It Flow'". YOMzansi.
- "New Release: Shane Eagle - Need Me Video [ft Kly]". SA Hip Hop Mag.
- "Shane Eagle's "Yellow" reaches 1.1 million streams". MTV Base.
- "Shane Eagle Goes Gold". ZAlebs.
- "What Shane Eagle Winning Best Hip Hop Album at the SAMAs Means For South African Hip-Hop". Medium.
- "The full list of nominees for the 2018 SAMAs". Political Analysis South Africa.
- "Shane Eagle Launches Yellow Tour With Intimate Concert Preview". Zkhipani.
- "Shane Eagle's national tour to begin in less than 10 days". GQ South Africa.
- "Don't Sleep On Shane Eagle's New Soulful EP 'Never Grow Up'". OkayAfrica.
- "Shane Eagle Is Certified Gold For Both "Let It Flow" & The "Never Grow Up" EP". Slikouronlife.
- "Dark Moon Flower by Shane Eagle". Apple Music.
- ""I Want It All (feat. Nasty C & Shane Eagle)" from The Guy: Episode 1 - Season 23 by Dj Speedsta on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 11 September 2016.