|Born||April 24, 1991|
Lubaga Hospital, Uganda
|Occupation(s)||Recording artist, singer|
|Spouse(s)||Hamza Ssebunya (m:2019)|
Rehema Namakula (born24 April 1991), also known as Rema, is a Ugandan recording artist.
Background and education
Rema was born in Lubaga Hospital, on 24 April 1991, to the late Hamida Nabbosa and the late Mukiibi Ssemakula. She is the last-born in her family. She attended Kitante Primary School for her elementary school education. She studied at Saint Balikudembe Senior Secondary School for both O-Level and A-Level studies. Later, she joined Kyambogo University. which she never completed and says she plans to do so in future
During her Senior 6 vacation, she began singing karaoke. Later, she became a back-up singer to another Ugandan female musician Halima Namakula, who became her mentor. She continued her music career as a backup artist for Ugandan musician Bebe Cool in Gagamel, Bebe Cool's recording group. In 2013, Bebe Cool was watching television when he saw Rema talking about launching a solo album, which Bebe Cool didn't know about. So he fired her and she went solo. In 2013 she released "Oli Wange" which was written by Nince Henry which made her popular in the music industry of Uganda.
In 2016, Rema Namakula was selected to represent Uganda at the fourth season of Coke Studio Africa 2016. Other Ugandan recording artists selected included Lydia Jazmine, Eddy Kenzo and Radio and Weasel. Other participants in the invitation-only event included 2Baba (2Face Idibia) from Nigeria and Trey Songz from the United States.
Over time, Rema Namakula began a romantic relationship with Ugandan recording artist Eddy Kenzo. On 26 December 2014, Rema Namakula gave birth to a daughter at Paragon Hospital, in the Kampala neighborhood of Bugoloobi. Kenzo (real name Edrisa Musuuza), who has another daughter (Maya Musuuza) from a previous relationship, acknowledged being the father and named the newborn Aamaal Musuuza.
On Thursday, 14 November 2019, Rema Namakula introduced her new fiancé, Dr. Hamza Ssebunya, in a ceremony that took place at her home in Nabbingo, near Kampala. The introduction was a national affair, as thousands camped out along the procession route to her home.
- "Oli Wange"
- "Lean On Me"
- "Lowooza Kunze"
- "Deep in Love"
- "Fire Tonight"
- "Ceaze and Sekkle"
HiPipo Music Awards 2013: Won
- Best HiPipo Charts Artist
- Best Breakthrough Artist
- Best Female Artist
- Best R&B Song, "Oli Wange"
HiPipo Music Awards 2014: Won
- Best female Artist of the Year
- Best female Artist (Dancehall)
- Best female RnB song – Kukaliba
- Mites, Isaac (21 March 2015). "Rema Namakula Shares Her Biography". Kampala: Bigeye.ug (Big Eye Uganda). Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Sean Musa Carter (12 July 2016). "Facts you Didn't Know About Rema Namakula". Kampala: Ugblizz.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- UOWD (20 July 2013). "Bebe Cool Fires Rema Namakula from Gagamel". Kampala: Ugandaonline.net (UOWD). Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- UTAMU Entertainment News (2016). "Singer Rema Namakula to represent Uganda in Coke Studio Africa Season 4". Kampala: Uganda Technology and Management University (UTAMU). Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- CCK (2016). "Rema Namakula Talks All Things Music, Success and Love: 5 Things About Rema Namakula". Coca Cola Kenya (CCK). Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Kushaba, Duncan (23 June 2016). "You must respect Rema – Kenzo warns Ex". New Vision. Kampla. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Matooke Republic (27 December 2014). "Kenzo confirms he is the father of Rema's baby, names her Aamaal". Kampala: Matooke Republic.
- Administrator (16 November 2019). "Rema: Was Buganda Culture Abused?". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- KDUG (8 April 2017). "Rema Namakula Releases "Banyabo" Music Video". Kampala: Koonadance.ug (KDUG). Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Kanaabi, Michael (11 February 2013). "Rema, Walukagga win big at HiPipo awards". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Staff Writer (9 February 2014). "HiPipo Music Awards: Bebe Cool Scoops Six Accolades". Red Pepper. Mukono. Retrieved 6 October 2017.