|Birth name||Emmanuel Kwesi Danso Arthur Junior|
|Also known as||Diidaday, Heavy Hitta, Young Arthur|
|Born||18 December 1994|
|Genres||Hip hop, Afrobeats|
Emmanuel Kwesi Danso Arthur Junior (born 18 December 1994), known professionally as Kwesi Arthur, is a Ghanaian rapper, singer and songwriter from Tema, Ghana. He rose to fame in 2017 with the hit single “Grind day” which received wide spread acclaim and a co-sign from rap heavyweights Sarkodie and Medikal. In 2019, his second EP Live from Nkrumah Krom Vol II garnered more than 2 million streams in the first week of its release.
Arthur has won several accolades, including Rapper of the year and Hip Hop Song of the year at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards as well as a Viewer’s Choice Best International Act nomination at the 2018 BET Awards. He became the second Ghanaian rapper to be nominated for BET Hip Hop Awards Cypher after Sarkodie’s nomination in 2019.
Early life and education
Kwesi Arthur was born on 18th December, 1994 in Tema. He was raised in Tema Community 9, is the second of 4 children with a brother named Dayonthetrack, who is also a musician. After completing his high school education at Temasco in 2013, Kwesi's plans of furthering his education to study Psychology and Law at the University of Ghana came to a standstill due to a lack of funds. This led the rapper to consider a job offer as a security guard in Tema. Although he was accepted for the security job, Kwesi decided to pursue his music career at a local recording studio instead. Here, he made a deal with the owner of the recording studio to learn music production and record for free; in exchange, Arthur had to perform menial tasks around the studio like sweeping and general maintenance. In 2016, he met management from Ground Up Chale, a social media movement for young artists in West Africa, where he recorded his hit record Grind day at their studios a year later.
In 2017, he released the lead single "Grind Day" from his debut EP, Live from Nkrumah Krom (2017). The record was released under his independent outfit and supported by a social movement called GroundUp Chale. He later released the remix for "Grind Day", featuring Sarkodie and Medikal.
Kwesi Arthur has collaborated with numerous Ghanaian musician, including Sarkodie, Medikal, KiDi, Jason E LA, R2Bees, B4bonah, M3dal, M.anifest, EL, Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale and South African rapper Nasty C . He was nominated for Best International Act at the 2018 BET Awards.
Kwesi Arthur is one of the most successful artists in Ghana, with his music being internationally recognised and awarded. In 2020 his song Live From The 233 was one of the most streamed African songs on the streaming service Apple Music
- Live from Nkrumah Krom (2017)
- Live from Nkrumah Krom Vol II Home Run (2019)
|Grind Day Remix feat Medikal and Sarkodie (rapper)|||
|2018||Anthem||Barking by Ramz|
|2018||Woara (meaning - It Is You)||Shotto Blinkz|||
|2018||Don't Keep Me Waiting feat Kidi||NytWulf|||
|2020||Turn On The Lights||Yung D3mz|
|2020||Live from 233||Juiczxx|
|2020||Baajo feat Joeboy||Yung D3mz|
|2021||Winning feat Vic Mensa||Juiczxx|
Awards and nomination
Ghana Music Awards
|2018||Himself||Hip Hop Song of the Year||Won|||
|Hiplife/Hip Hop Artiste of the Year||Nominated|
|New Artiste of the Year||Nominated|
|2021||Himself||Hiplife/HipHop Artist of the Year||Nominated|||
|Himself||International Collaboration of the Year||Won|||
|2018||Himself||Viewers Choice Best International Act||Nominated|||
3 Music Awards
|2019||Himself||Hip Hop Song of the Year||Nominated|||
|Hiplife/Hip Hop Artiste of the Year||Nominated|
|Hiplife/Hip Hop Act of the Year||Nominated|
|Song of The Year||Nominated|
|Music Man of The Year||Nominated|
|Digital Act of the Year||Nominated|
|Hiplife Song of the year||Nominated|
|2017||Grind Day||Mickey Johnson|||
|2017||Grind Day Remix||Lex Maccarthy|||
|2018||Don't Keep Me Waiting feat Kidi||Andy Madjitey|||
|2018||Fever feat Rayf||RocxNoir|||
|2019||Nobody feat Mr Eazi||Yaw Skyface|||
- "BET Awards: Kwesi Arthur gets nomination in Viewers' Choice category". Citi Newsroom. 5 June 2018. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "My mum wanted me to do gospel music—Kwesi Arthur". 6 November 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Kwesi Arthur Reps Ghana at 2020 BET Hip Hop Awards Cypher". GhanaNotes.com. 20 October 2020. Retrieved 20 October 2020.
- "Video: I slept in a kiosk with my parents, siblings – Kwesi Arthur". Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- Mawuli, David. "10 things you didn't know about Kwesi Arthur". Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "Fans go wild for Kwesi Arthur's new album 'LFNKII – Home Run'". myjoyonline.com. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- Zurek, Kweku. "VIDEO: Meet "Grind Day" hit maker Kwesi Arthur". Graphic Online. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kwesi Arthur features Sarkodie, Medikal on 'Grind Day' remix". ghanaweb.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kwesi Arthur – Woara (God Engineering) (Prod. by Shotto Blingx)". ghanamotion.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Mawuli, David. "Kwesi Arthur drops "Don't Keep Me Waiting" feat KiDi". Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kwesi Arthur – Zombie (Prod. by TwoBars)". afrosages.com. 21 October 2019. Retrieved 2 November 2019.
- "Full list of winners at 2018 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards". Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- Anno-Kumi, Kwaku. "Hearts of Oak congratulate Kwesi Arthur on VGMA nominations". Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Rap artiste get Ghana first 2018 BET nomination". BBC News Pidgin. 6 June 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "3Music Awards 2019: Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy, Kwesi Arthur top nomination list". myjoyonline.com. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Kwesi Arthur – Grind Day (Prod. by KaySo) • urbanroll". urbanroll.com.gh. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kwesi Arthur – Grind Day (Official Video)". ghanamotion.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Pulse. "Video: Kwesi Arthur – Grind Day Remix feat. Sarkodie & Medikal". pulse.com.gh. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "VIDEO: Kwesi Arthur Ft. Sarkodie x Medikal – Grind Day (Remix) | 360Nobs.com". www.360nobs.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "VIDEO: The Anthem – Kwesi Arthur – Proudly Ghanaian! | EnewsGH". Proudly Ghanaian! | EnewsGH. 31 January 2018. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Mawuli, David. "Music Video: Kwesi Arthur – Woara (God Engineering)". Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Kwesi Arthur x Kidi – Don't Keep Me Waiting (Official Video) • urbanroll". urbanroll.com.gh. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- dcleakers. "Rayf & Kwesi Arthur – Fever (Official Video) | DCLeakers". www.dcleakers.com. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Mensah, Jeffrey (29 April 2019). "Kwesi Arthur wipes Efia Odo's Junior US shame with his Nobody music video". Yen.com.gh – Ghana news. Retrieved 10 May 2019.