|Born||28 May 1993|
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
|Education||Nelson Mandela University|
|Years active||2017- Present|
Amanda Faku (born May 28, 1993) is a South African musician, performer and songwriter. Born and raised in township of Ezinyoka, Port Elizabeth, Faku rose to fame as a contestant on The Voice SA season 2 in 2017 and began getting recognition in the music industry.
After she signed a record deal with The Vth Season, Ami released her debut single "Ndikhethe Wena", which was released on her debut studio album Imali (2019), debuted number one in South Africa.
Life and career
At the age of 6, Faku had developed a strong love for music. She started singing at a house church which her father pastored and is influenced by the church, reggae, and hip hop. She later started recording music in early 2012 where her producer only lived a few blocks away from her house.
Career beginnings (2017-2019)
In 2017, she competed in the TV talent show, The Voice SA, which was her major breakthrough in the music industry. Though she did not win, she was signed by the Vth Season record label.
2019-present:Imali, EA Wave Reimagines
Following her success on The Voice SA, she launched her debut single titled "Ndikhethe Wena". Faku later worked with De Mogul SA on the song "Ungowam". On January 31, 2020, single "uWrongo" by Prince Kaybee was released features Ami Faku, Shimza and Black Motion. She also collaborated with the award winning producer Sun-El Musician on her song titled "Into Ingawe", certified 3x platinum by Recording Industry of South Africa (RISA) followed by her single "Uwrong" went gold certification on Recording Industry of South Africa.On August 16, 2020, her single "Inde Lendlela" was released. The song later was certified platinum. On September 26, 2020, she released a single "Imali" featuring Blaq Diamond. The song was certified platinum by the Recording industry of South Africa.On September 27, 2020, her debut studio album Imali was released. The album later was certified gold. It was produced by Blaq Diamond, Sun-El Musician, 37MPH Eternal Africa and Wilson. In November 2020, she was nominated for Best Female Southern Africa and Best Newcomer at African Muzik Magazine Awards.
On August 21, 2020, she released her EP titled EA Wave Reimagines. On October 31, 2020, her single with Wichi 1080 "Never Let you go" was released. On January 22, 2021, she released a single "Lala Ngoxolo" featuring Emtee.
- Imali (2019)
- EA Wave Reimagines (2020)
Awards and nominations
|2020||26th SAMA||Female Artist of the Year||Won|||
|Newcomer of the Year||Nominated|||
|Best Afro Pop Album||Nominated|||
|2020||African Muzik Magazine Awards||Best Newcomer||Nominated|||
|Best Female Southern Africa||Nominated|
|2021||Saafma||Best Female Artist Award||Pending|||
|Best Song of the Year||Pending|
|Best Rising Star||Pending|
- Liam Karabo Joyce (25 June 2019). "Ami Faku shares journey through music". www.iol.co.za.
- "Ami Faku taking music scene by storm". SowetanLIVE.
- "Ami Faku's debut album is here". Channel 0. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- Nkosi, Joseph (November 23, 2019). "Ami Faku Biography, Career, Record Label, Imali, Songs & Instagram". thenation.co.za.
- Mpiletso Motumi (16 October 2018). "Ami Faku has found her voice". iol.co.za.
- "Prince Kaybee releases new single, Uwrongo, featuring Ami Faku, Shimza and Black Motion | JustNje". JustNje. January 31, 2021.
- "Ami Faku & Sun El Musician's Hit Into Ingawe Now Double Platinum »". May 20, 2020.
- "Ami Faku on cloud nine as she rakes in accolades". SowetanLIVE.
- Mbambo, Simphiwe (2020-05-20). "Ami Faku and Sun Els "Into Ingawe" goes double platinum - SA". www.musicinafrica.net. Retrieved 2020-05-23.
- "Reviewing Ami Faku's Album". 702.co.za.
- Adejoy (16 December 2020). "Ami Faku's singles are multiple platinum and debut album certified gold | Fakaza News". Fakaza News.
- Mkhabela, Sabelo (30 September 2020). "Ami Faku Delivers a Stellar Debut Album with 'Imali' - OkayAfrica". OkayAfrica.
- "Ami Faku Earns Top Spot Of Most Streamed Female Artist On Deezer In 2019". ZAlebs.
- Herbst, Denika (March 11, 2020). "Ami Faku number 1 most-streamed SA female artist on Deezer in 2019". briefly.co.za.
- "Ami Faku Number 1 Most-Streamed South African Female Artists on Deezer in 2019 »". March 12, 2020.
- Jabulani, John (October 31, 2020). "Ami Faku & Wichi 1080 - Never Let You Go". Ubetoo.
- Mbendeni, Alutho (5 February 2021). "Ami Faku on new single Lala Ngoxolo and her upcoming second album | Drum". News24. South Africa.
- Mike, Steven. "Ami Faku Imali Album". iminathi. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "Ami Faku bags Best Female of the Year award at the SAMAs | eNCA". www.enca.com.
- "Ami Faku, AKA, Benjamin Dube receive top honours at SAMA26 night 4". www.iol.co.za.
- Mbendeni, Alutho. "Ami Faku on her Sama win, the financial effects of Covid-19 and new music". Drum.
- "Here's a List of the 2020 South African Music Awards (SAMAs) Winners". okayafricasite.
- "AND THE SAMA NOMINEES ARE..." DailySun.
- "Samas boss unfazed by snub of hitmakers". SowetanLIVE.
- Hansen, Gabriel Myers (16 November 2020). "African Muzik Magazine Awards 2020: All the winners | Music In Africa". Music In Africa.
- Patience Bambalele (7 May 2021). "Star-studded list of nominees for 2021 South African Afro Music Awards". Sowetan LIVE.